Monday, February 06, 2006

2000 Sebastiani Cabernet Sauvignon (4/5 stars)


This Sonoma County red was handed to me in a wine shop recently. The label was unassuming, but it being a 2000, I thought it might be a nice ripe wine.

The 2000 growing season was very good in California. And it shows in this wine. The Sebastiani is a nice round wine. I didn't have a chance to sample it immediately after decanting, but an hour later, it was very full in the mouth. Rich and complex, with good up front cherry and blackberry fruit but also with firm tannins. There also seemed to be a hint of chocolate. I could drink this wine all night without tiring of it.

The one thing that I did find a bit odd was an enormous amount of sediment. Thus my earlier comment about decanting.

Prices average in the $12 range. If you can find it under $10, as I did, consider picking up several bottles, but plan to drink it soon. I believe it has peaked and won't last long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home